How to Set up a Facebook Author Page
This blog is pretty short and simple. This is part of the “How to” when it comes to marketing your book and yourself as an author.
Facebook allows you to create something really cool. It’s called an “Author Page”. This is really helpful because this is not just a profile where you share stuff with all your friends, this is a page which tells about you specifically as an author and allows people to “like” and follow your page. NOTE: When you set up your author page, all your blog posts will likely be posted to your personal page so you will need to also post it through your author page.
I wanted to provide a quick, simple “how to” blog on setting up an author page. Facebook updates regularly so this could end up being out of date at any point in the future. If it is, let me know and I’ll update the steps.
1. Set up a Facebook profile (that’s just your personal page. You probably already have one. If you don’t, check out this blog for some simple steps)
2. Go to your Home (click the home button, top of the page, just to the right of the center)
3. Go to the bottom left hand corner of the screen and there should be a small section that says, “Create”. You might have to scroll down a little bit to see it. Under “Create” you should see, “Ad – Page – Group – Event”
4. Click on “Page” to create a page
5. Next you should be given six options. You should select, “Artist, Band or Public Figure”
6. Choose a category–try going for Author
7. Click, “Get Started”
From there you start to set up your actual page. It should be pretty easy to follow. You’ll need to set up some things like photos and stuff. My author page is www.facebook.com/shawnpbrobinsonauthor/ if you would like some ideas, although remember that I hate social media so I’m struggling to do my best with something I despise. 🙂 I would encourage you to like my page so you can get updates about the blog and follow me on my journey toward publishing. You should also like it because it makes me feel all warm and happy inside. If you have tips on how I can improve my author page, by all means message me on my author page. I’m all for getting help!
Now, you might be thinking, “I’ll leave this author page thing for later since I’m not publishing for a while.” This is actually worth getting started right away if you’re on a track to publish. You may feel that you should wait until you actually publish your book (I’m assuming you haven’t yet), but it’s worth getting started on this now in the hopes of collecting a lot of likes and follows. The more likes and follows you get across the various social media platforms, the more freedom you have to get word out about your books when you do publish.
There you have it! A simple, step by step guide on setting up an author page on Facebook!
Comment below with ideas for successful author pages with Facebook (I would value your thoughts).